Monday, May 9, 2011

Monopoly (the game)

The idea for the game came in 1903 when Elizabeth Magie created The Landlord’s Games is show how wealthy landlords are getting while their tenants are going broke. A series of board games were developed then from 1906 through the 1930s that involved the buying and selling of land and the development of that land. Magie patented her version of the game but Parker Brother declined to publish it in 1910. Man-made copies started becoming somewhat popular on the east coast. Charles Darrow’s wife showed him the game and he began to distribute his own, very similar, game him called Monopoly. He sent it to Parker Brothers in 1934 but they declined to publish it. He made 500 of his own and sold them to a Pennsylvania store where they quickly sold out. As the popularity grew, Parker Brothers came back and offered him a deal in 1935.

People in the Thirties enjoyed playing the board game because they could acquire property they never could in the real world. They were making money and thriving instead of struggling to make it. I think that is what is so funny about the popularity of the game at the time so that people were so poor but the most popular game was all about making money.

It has since been one of the greatest folklore that Darrow came up with the idea for the game as it states in the instructions that he did. I find it a bit sad that he was not even the one with the idea and went on to make the best selling game of all time while Magie got nothing.

2 comments:

  1. It’s always insane for me to think about the true origins of Monopoly. I would guess everyone has played Monopoly before once or twice; the fact that it truly attempts to explain economics is often overlooked (or at least it was for me). The game is essentially about greed, you attempt to make all the money, while all others around you are forced broke. I think Monopoly has had such longevity because it continues to appeal to the power and wealth desires all of us have in one way or another. As you pointed out, the irony of its popularity during the Great Depression, gave all types of people the ability to “live the American dream”. I think that is why it is still popular today, from our golf to our Simpsons themed boards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was blown away to find out that the game was invented so long ago. I have played it for decades; I guess I thought it was invented about the same time I was. Well anyway, whenever I did play it I never thought about economics, greed, power and wealth; I just tried to win the game. Maybe I am too competitive or simple maybe. But I can certainly believe that the reasons you give for the folks in the thirties and now, are valid reasons.

    ReplyDelete