Monday, May 9, 2011

Black Mask

Black mask was a pulp magazine before comics came big. The black mask started in the 1920's and hit it big in the 30's. Originally started by 2 founders with only $500 the poor quality of the magazines were still a success. The magazine wrote one Mystery, romance, adventure... the "who& why?"... The magazine was a success and ended up selling in the 30's for $12,500. Once the magazine was sold over it was mainly a "tough crime" magazine... an obvious appeal for the coming consumer- paralleling to the increasing of crime and sex in the films! More consuming = more options!!

http://www.blackmaskmagazine.com/history.html
"I have a little office which says 'Terry Mack, Private Investigator,' on the door; which means whatever you wish to think it. I ain't a crook, and I ain't a dick. I play the game on the level, in my own way."




1 comment:

  1. Start up stories like that are inspirational: two founders with a dream and not a lot of cash. Really, I think if the quality is there and it's marketable, almost anything could be a moderate success.

    ReplyDelete