Thursday, June 2, 2011

portland 1930s

I couldn't find much information on what was going on in Portland during the 1930s, but I did discover this neat blog that posts picture of Portland during the decade.

http://vintageportland.wordpress.com/category/1930s/

Also, I found out that in 1934 nearly 1400 members of the International Longshoremen's  Association participated in something called the west coast waterfront strike.  Their demands included:

  • acknowledgment of the union
  • wages increased from $.85/hr to $1.00/hr
  • 6 hr workday
  • 30 hr workweek
  • a closed shop with the union in control of hiring
The strike lasted from June 9, 1934-July 31, 1934.  The results were in their favor with everything they asked for except compromises on $.95/hr and also the creation of a union hiring hall jointly managed by the union and management.


Here's a picture from the blog of SW Broadway in 1935.

3 comments:

  1. Kelsey, I very much enjoyed seeing the picture of Portland from 1935. It's funny that if I walked outside I could see that very street, aged over 70 years. It really makes you think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I am so glad you derived pleasure from the picture I posted. I agree with you--it is quite strange to realize that we are living in a historically-rich city. Sometimes you just get so caught up in the "now," that you forget there was a "then" and (,if I may be profound) that "then" was someone else's "now".
    Chew that one over, for a bit : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that Seattle has it's own underground red light district, because it was originally built surrounding brothels, do you know if Portland has any historical red light district?

    ReplyDelete