Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hindenburg



















The LZ 129 Hindenburg was the biggest air ship of it's time. They decided to fill it with Hydrogen instead of helium because it was less expensive and North American natural gas was the only source of Helium. There was a ban on helium exports in the US at the time and it was expected to be lifted by the time it was finished being built, but it was not. 14 months later on May 6, 1937, at the end of the first North American transatlantic journey of its second season of service, killing 36 people.

I found it really interesting when I read this. I had assumed they used hydrogen because there was some sort of scientific advantage, not just because it was cheaper. Good lesson on cutting corners.

1 comment:

  1. Ya I did not know that either. I think America learned they can not go cheap on something that involved lives.

    ReplyDelete