Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"I, Too, Sing America" By Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America. 
I am the darker brother. 
They send me to eat in the kitchen 
When company comes, 
But I laugh, 
And eat well, 
And grow strong.
Tomorrow, I'll be at the table 
When company comes. 
Nobody'll dare 
Say to me, 
"Eat in the kitchen," 
Then.  
Besides,  
They'll see how beautiful I am 
And be ashamed--
I, too, am America.
This poem written by Langston Hughes was penned in 1925, 
so it was a bit before the thirties but remains relevant even to this day.
This is one of my favorite poems and it is about civil rights. 
Although the other inhabitants of the house are ashamed of the darker brother 
and send him to eat where he will be unseen by others, 
he still remains optimistic about a better tomorrow. 
Every person, regardless of race or appearance or anything as superficial as that, is America.
 I see the people of the house as representative of this country in that time period and 
company is representative of the self we (being the United States) choose to present to
the outside world.    
(I keep struggling with formatting and my block of text kept ending up as one very long line of text. The only way I found to separate 
text was to do this weird spacing. Sorry!)

2 comments:

  1. I've always loved Langston Hughes. I think he has a wonderful sense of humor. This is one of my favorite poems by him.


    This is a song for the genius child.
    Sing it softly, for the song is wild.
    Sing it softly as ever you can -
    Lest the song get out of hand.

    Nobody loves a genius child.

    Can you love an eagle,
    Tame or wild?
    Can you love an eagle,
    Wild or tame?
    Can you love a monster
    Of frightening name?

    Nobody loves a genius child.

    Kill him - and let his soul run wild.

    Langston Hughes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Langston Hughes a lot too. I especially like a collection that was published after he died of his lesser known political writing. They were put in two volumes I can't remember the names of now, but one of my favorites is "A New Song." It just seems so different from his other poems.

    ReplyDelete